Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Avoiding the Lion

Been to 1 Peter lately? Goodness, there is a lot of truth in this small book. I have been continually drawn to it due to its focus on conduct. This summer, I have been convicted of my choices. A good friend used this object lesson to talk about spiritual warfare in a small group Bible study.
I am not sure if it was the use of the transformer to symbolize Jesus or Rex to symbolize Satan but I saw spiritual warfare anew. Certainly, it was God's work regardless. For too long, I have pretended that I do not have to participate in this war between the flesh and spirit. This feigned ignorance has had ugly consequences that I hope, by God's grace, will diminish with time. It is because of this recent enlightenment by the Holy Spirit that I want to have these verses before me.

1 Peter 5:8-11
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect,establish, strength, and settle you.

To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment